User-centred digital products and services for smart cities.
A digital product business with a penchant for smart cities. Our flagship product is Passenger (www.discoverpassenger.com), which is currently storming the public transport market. As a result we’re scaling the team around it.
At Base you will be part of an integrated team of makers and doers, who thrive on the satisfaction of a job well done, across a variety of projects and clients. Passenger is already rolled out up and down the UK and it’ll be your job to support the development team to deliver value to our customers in the least wasteful way possible.
As a conscientious company we value and support personal development. We actively seek key customers with a like-minded desire to push boundaries, providing you with the opportunity to continuously build your experience and skills in this role.
We practice a sustainable pace, recognising that we each have lives and families outside of work. Late nights and > 40 hour weeks are rare by design.
A bit about the role
This is a genuine opportunity to work alongside talented people to innovate and build digital services that make a difference to people every day. Working in an increasingly connected life, the role looks a little something like this.
You know how to lead the team, winning hearts and minds to help deliver projects on time and on budget. Software is rarely straightforward and you have a depth of knowledge that will help guide the team to deliver effectively; whether through Agile sprints, Kanban or a combination of methodologies that work well for the team and help keep us pulling together in an environment where change is an everyday occurance.
Unblocking the road
Working closely with commercial, you will ensure the production team have a clear understanding of the current sprint, their collective goals and our overall product roadmap. As well as the big picture, you’ll have an eye for the detail; helping to document, brief and test features, and manage releases.
Looking around you
You’re passionate about keeping up to date with trends in technology and identifying opportunities to be at the forefront of innovation in our chosen industries. You’ll show good awareness of competitors, and be excited to steer our ship towards waters where we’re setting standards for everyone else to follow.
You will be able to develop a genuine understanding of our customers businesses, allowing you to identify opportunities for and with them. You’ll be able to think commercially about the business, and help deliver it well. You’ll be expected to regularly think on your feet, remembering that the best solutions are often beautiful in their simplicity.
You’re a good communicator and know how to work with production staff to make sure that they are too. Likewise you’ll be in regular contact with the commercial team, keeping them in the loop of change and its potential impact on delivery.
- Work closely with the commercial team to ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the production team, maintaining a prioritised and clear backlog.
- Effectively prioritise a large backlog by balancing and championing both business and customer needs, helping the production team maintain velocity by knowing when and where to reduce technical debt.
- Help reduce risks and bottlenecks in delivery
- Evaluating costs and risk in delivery estimates and setting realistic expectations
- Proactively identify opportunities to upsell to our customer base, whilst defending what's valuable for the product long term.
- Working with the commercial team and customers to deploy our products and new features, including:
- Managing internal and customer meetings,
- Capturing and clarifying requirements for new features,
- Delivering those features,
- Getting feedback,
- Helping test and
- Celebrating success with the team.
As part of the team, you’ll get...
- A culture where work/life balance gets more than lip-service
- Colleagues who will push you to be the best you can be
- Top of the range workstation
- Optional private medical health care
- Annual pay rise in line with inflation
- Pension scheme
- Option to work remotely up to 2 days a week
- EMI company share options
- Budget to purchase a fitness tracker of your choice
- A workspace that provides you with the opportunity to flourish
- Quarterly reviews and structured CPD
- Tickets to the most relevant conferences and events